A very efficient protocol for directly reprogramming skin-based fibroblasts into neurons is provided at this link. The induced neurons have all the electrophysiological characteristics of normal neurons and because no embryonic stage is passed through, these cells are safer than iPSCs. The problem is making enough of them for therapeutic purposes. At this point, the iPSCs really have it hands down.
- Direct Induction of Chondrogenic Cells from Human Dermal Fibroblast Culture by Defined Factors (plosone.org)
- How you can cure..You! (antisensescienceblog.wordpress.com)
- Identifying one of the obstacles to the creation of human iPS cells (transbiotex.wordpress.com)
- Three-Dimensional Fibroblast Matrix Improves Left Ventricular Function (pharmaceuticalintelligence.com)
- Scientists Convert Human Skin Cells Into Cartilage-Generating Cells (asianscientist.com)
- Human dermal fibroblast culture enables direct induction of chondrogenic cells (medicalnewstoday.com)